Matches 1 to 22 of 22
|| Linked to
- Reçoit le fief Vincelette près le Cap St. Ignace.
|AMIOT dit VINCELOTTE, Charles (I237)
||Alias Villeneuve, lay, interpreter, Seigneur. Received a grant of land from Governor Louis D'Ailleboust at Three-Rivers in 1649 and in 1661 received a grant at Sillery from the Jesuites. September 6, 1669 he received from Jean Juchereau de Maur a property on Pointe Villeneuve. In 1685, he received a fief and Seigneurie from Jean Talon at Pointe aux Bouleaux. He received letters of patent (nobility) from the King in 1669 but these were nulled in 1669 because they had not been registered. |
|AMIOT dit VILLENEUVE, Mathieu (I3)
||AMIOT (Amyot) DE VINCELOTTE, CHARLES-JOSEPH, navigator, naval lieutenant, militia commander, seigneur; b. 23 March 1665 at Quebec, son of Charles Amiot* and Geneviève de Chavigny; buried 9 May 1735 in the same town.|
Charles-Joseph received his elementary education at the Jesuit college in Quebec; then he studied the principles of navigation, doubtless under the direction of Martin Boutet*. In 1680 he received from his mother the fief of Vincelotte (Cap Saint-Ignace) that she herself had received in 1672 from Talon*. At 19, in 1684, he enlisted in the militia. He drew up a will the same year, before leaving "to travel and go to war in the king's service against the Iroquois." We find him again in 1693 when he presented a petition - successfully - to Louis de Buade* de Frontenac and Bochart de Champigny asking that his fief be enlarged; he wished, he wrote, to "contribute to the utmost of his ability to the development of this colony and work hard to establish himself there."
When Governor Frontenac died in 1698, two of the colony's officers, Rigaud de Vaudreuil and Callière, aspired to succeed him. Each wished to be the first to notify the court of the governor's death and to seek the nomination. During the winter of 1698-99 Amiot was charged with this mission by Rigaud de Vaudreuil and Champigny, while Augustin Le Gardeur de Courtemanche was chosen for the same purpose by Callière. A race took place between the two emissaries, each wishing to be the first at court. Amiot de Vincelotte was the last to arrive, although only a few hours after Courtemanche, and Callière was granted the governor generalship.
In 1703 the seigneur Amiot was recommended for the post of attorney of the provost's court of Quebec. He was described in a document as "the person in this country whom we know to be most capable of filling this position. He is active, is intelligent, and has applied himself to the study of the ordinances and of the customary law of Paris, which he knows well." He did not obtain the post, which was entrusted to his step-father, Jean-Baptiste Couillard de Lespinay, who had married Geneviève de Chavigny in 1680. Perhaps this can be seen as one of the causes of the subsequent rivalry between Amiot and Couillard.
Amiot next carried out several expeditions in 1703-4 to the shores of Newfoundland, under the command of the privateer Jean Léger de La Grange and of Claude Pauperet. In 1706 he was chosen to go privateering off the shores of New England, serving as a lieutenant under Louis Denys* de La Ronde. In particular, they both fought a hard battle against John March, who laid siege to Port-Royal on 26 May 1707 (6 June n.s.). After their victory over the English they carried the good news to the king, and took advantage of the opportunity to ask for help for an expedition against Boston. The French government approved the project, but was unable to give them any other ship except the Vénus, a rather poorly equipped frigate; they nevertheless sailed it for two years, and made numerous captures. Did Amiot subsequently take part in other military enterprises? We do not know. The last mention of his activity in this field is in 1727 when he was appointed commander of the militia forces on the south shore of the St Lawrence. We know, however, that in 1718 he sought, apparently in vain, a commission as ensign and the position of lieutenant of the port of Quebec.
Did Amiot de Vincelotte have a particular liking for wrangling and rivalry? It may be thought so. In any case he spent much of the money that came from his privateering and his seigneury on long and useless legal actions. In 1724, after his mother's death, Amiot brought several lawsuits against his step-father; "he boasted that he had some 15 lawsuits to bring [against him]." He even claimed from him "six spoons, six forks and one silver cup."
On 19 Feb. 1691, at Montreal, Charles Amiot de Vincelotte had married Marie-Gabrielle, daughter of Jean-Vincent Philippe de Hautmesnil. Thirteen children were born of this marriage. Nevertheless in 1727 he sought a separation.
After a full life, he died at the age of 70 at Quebec.
AJQ, Greffe de Gilles Rageot, 10 juillet 1684. AQ, NF, Coll. de pièces jud. et not., 580, 607; NF, Ord. des int., XII, 128f., NF, Registres d'intendance, I, 9. "Mémoire de Gédéon de Catalogne sur les plans des seigneuries et habitations des gouvernements de Québec, les Trois-Rivières et Montréal," BRH, XXI (1915), 330 Ivanhoë Caron, "Le fief Cap Saint-Ignace," BRH, XX (1914), 365-69. P.-G. Roy, "Charles-Joseph Amyot Vincelotte," BRH, XXV (1919), 306-15.
1701-1740 (Volume II)
|AMIOT, Charles Joseph (I256)
||AMIOT (Amyot), CHARLES, fur-trader and merchant; b. 26 Aug. 1636 at Quebec, son of Philippe Amiot and Anne Convent, buried there on 10 Dec. 1669.|
He was educated at the Jesuit college and when he was barely 14 years old he accompanied Father Bressani as a servant on a trip to the Huron country. On 2 May 1660 Amiot married Geneviève de Chavigny, by whom he had three children. He opened a store at Quebec, at the foot of the Cap aux Diamants, on a site which his father-in-law had given him. He was then a merchant interested in eel fishing and in the fur trade. It was his travels among the Papinachois that gave him something of a reputation during his lifetime. On those occasions he accompanied Father Henri Nouvel*, a Jesuit who was born in 1621 or 1624 at Pézenas, in the department of Hérault, and who landed at Quebec in the summer of 1662.
A number of historians have confused the dates and routes of Father Nouvel's and Charles Amiot's journeys. According to the Relations they made their first voyage from April to June 1663, and a second from November 1663 to April 1664. They left Quebec in November 1663, and presumably went to the Île Verte and the Île aux Basques, then to the Île Saint-Barnabé, finally spending the winter with a band of Algonkins in the neighbourhood of Lake Matapédia or Lake Mitis. Amiot returned to the Île, aux Basques in March 1664 and went down to Quebec, where he arrived on 5 April, whilst Father Nouvel remained on the island with his flock.
On 21 April 1664 Father Nouvel crossed to the north shore. He waited near Tadoussac for Father Druillettes, who arrived only on 3 May. The latter decided to go and serve the Indians of the Saguenay. For their part, Father Nouvel and Charles Amiot, the sole Frenchmen to accompany Druillettes, left Tadoussac the same day (3 May) and penetrated overland, with a band of Papinachois, as far as the river Peritibistokou (des Outardes), which they reached on 14 May. The travellers camped there until 2 June, went upstream for a whole day, and made a portage that brought them to the river Manikouaganistikou (Manicouagan). They got to Lake Saint-Barnabé (Manicouagan) on 9 June. A band of Papinachois who had never met a white man was waiting for them there. The missionary preached the gospel and the traders bartered furs. Father Nouvel named the spot the Saint-Barnabé mission. The expedition returned to Quebec on 30 June 1664.
In November Father Nouvel again left Quebec for Tadoussac. This time Amiot apparently stayed at Quebec. Father Nouvel spent the winter of 1664-65 in the Lake St. John region, and returned in the spring. At the end of May 1665 he went back to the Saint-Barnabé mission together with two Frenchmen whom the Relation identifies as Amiot and Couture*. Father Godbout specifies that "for this last voyage among the nations of the north, he [Amiot] had taken Guillaume Couture, Noël Jérémie, and Sébastien Prouvereau, on 28 May 1665." They had arranged to meet the Papinachois at the mouth of the Manicouagan. But they had to go up the river without a guide, for the Indians did not appear at the rendezvous. They returned to Quebec on 26 July.
Father Nouvel returned to the north shore regularly until 1670, but the Relations make no further mention of Amiot's being with him. Perhaps the latter preferred to stay at Quebec with his family and attend to his general store. Amiot died on 10 Dec. 1669. "In consideration of the services rendered by the late Amiot in this country," Talon, on 3 Nov. 1672, made over to his widow the Vincelotte fief, in what is now the parish of Cap-Saint-Ignace. His son Charles-Joseph* inherited the fief and adopted its name. Charles Amiot was the brother of Jean and Mathieu Amiot.
Father Nouvel had a much longer career. In the succeeding years he exercised his ministry between Michilimackinac and Sault Ste. Marie.
JR (Thwaites) is the sole source of information on the expeditions of Nouvel and Amiot. For an exhaustive biography of Amiot see Godbout, "Nos ancêtres," APQ Rapport, 1951-53, 492. See also P.-G. Roy, "Les Amyot sous le régime français," BRH, XXIII (1917), 161-68.
1000-1700 (Volume I)
|AMIOT dit VINCELOTTE, Charles (I237)
||AMIOT (Amyot), dit Villeneuve, MATHIEU, donné, interpreter, seigneur; b. between 1627 and 1629 probably near Chartres (Orléanais), son of Philippe Amiot and Anne Convent; d. 18 Nov. 1688 at Quebec.|
His father, who came originally from the neighbourhood of Soissons, was at Quebec from the summer of 1635 on. Mathieu, like his brother Jean, was for some years an interpreter for the Jesuits; he worked in their house at Trois-Rivières and perhaps also in the Huron country. Then he became a settler, and during the remainder of his life he managed to accumulate a fairly sizable number of properties. Thus, in 1649, Governor Louis d'Ailleboust made him a grant of land at Trois-Rivières; in addition, on the occasion of his marriage on 22 Oct. 1650, Marie Miville brought him as her dowry a property in the town of Quebec; in 1661 the Jesuits granted him a portion of land at Sillery, where he built a house for himself, whilst keeping his town residence; on 6 Sept. 1665 Jean Juchereau de Maur gave him an estate on Pointe Villeneuve, near Saint-Augustin de Portneuf, which he enlarged in 1677 and 1685; and on 3 Nov. 1672 Talon granted him another domain, as a fief and seigneury, at Pointe aux Bouleaux.
As his possessions increased, Mathieu became a more and more important person in the colony. A notable at Quebec, he had taken part in the election of a syndic in 1664, and three years later the king acceded to Talon's request to grant him letters of nobility. However, when these letters arrived in 1668 the intendant did not know whether he should have them registered in the Conseil Souverain of Quebec or in the Parlement of Paris. While awaiting the reply from Versailles he learned that Louis XIV had abolished all titles not yet registered (1669). Three other settlers had received letters of nobility at the same time as Amiot. They or their descendants had them recognized despite the 1669 ruling. But as Amiot apparently made no claim in respect of his, they were finally annulled.
Villeneuve left his heirs more debts and worries than assets. In 1703 the debts encumbering the estate still amounted to 700 livres, and Marie Miville, who had sold the lands for 1,500 livres, had died (September 1702), a victim of the distress caused her by a lawsuit which her son Charles, the eldest of her 15 children, had brought against her.
ASQ, Documents Faribault, 22, 104; Registre A, pp. 588-94. Jug. et délib., passim. Papier terrier de la Cie des I.O. (P.-G. Roy), 42-44. P.-G. Roy, Inv. concessions, I, 276-78; II, 68: III, 4-6.
Lionel Audet-Lapointe, "Famille Amiot-Villeneuve," BRH, LX (1954), 121-35. Godbout, "Nos ancêtres," APQ Rapport, 1951-53, 488. P.-G. Roy, "Les Amyot sous le régime français," BRH, XXIII (1917), 164f.; "Mathieu Amiot Villeneuve," BRH, XXV (1919), 321-31.
1000-1700 (Volume I)
|AMIOT dit VILLENEUVE, Mathieu (I3)
||AMIOT (Amyot), JEAN, interpreter and indentured employee of the Jesuits among the Hurons; son of Philippe Amiot and of Anne Convent, who came from the neighbourhood of Soissons around 1635, and brother of Mathieu and Charles Amiot, who were also associated with the Jesuit missionaries; b. probably in France about 1625; d. 1648.|
Jean Amiot spent several years in the Huron country, and seems to have lived at Trois-Rivières from 1645 on. The Indians called him "Antaïok." In 1647 he outran and captured an Iroquois who had taken part in the martyrdom of Father Isaac Jogues. He was a remarkable athlete; in a tournament at Quebec he beat all the young Indians who tried to race against him, either on foot or on snowshoes. On 23 May 1648, when he was about to get married, Jean Amiot was drowned off Trois-Rivières with a companion, François Marguerie. His body was carried down by the current and recovered on 10 June opposite the Saint-Joseph de Sillery mission, where the burial took place. His possessions at Trois-Rivières were sold to Jacques Leneuf de La Poterie on 18 Oct. 1649.
The 1648 Relation states that Amiot and Marguerie "were much regretted in that region, both for their virtue and for their knowledge of the languages. . . . They were both of them brave and skilful, and, what is more estimable still, they lived a most blameless life, according to everybody's opinion."
AJQ, Greffe de Guillaume Audouart, 18 oct. 1649. JR (Thwaites). JJ (Laverdière et Casgrain).
BRH, XI (1905), 217; XXIII (1917), 161. Godbout, "Nos ancêtres," APQ Rapport, 1951-53, 488.
1000-1700 (Volume I)
|AMIOT, Jean (I236)
||Armand Bourgeois and his family were deported along with many other Acadians|
to Massachusetts in 1755. He and Marguérite Dugas were married there, without
Catholic rites, in 1764. In 1767, they went to Québec, where they settled at
St-Jacques de l'Achigan. The marriage was revalidated on 26 July 1767.
From Bona Arsenault "Histoire Et Genealogie Des Acadiens", Volume 2, Port-Royal, page 459.
Page 463: Amand Bourgeois, 1735, fils de Claude et de Marie LeBlanc, marie devant temoins au Massachusetts vers 1764 (mariage revalide a L'Assomption, le 26 juillet 1767), a Marguerite Dugas, fille de Claude et de Marie-Josephe Melanson. Enfants: Marie-Anne, 1767; Marie-Josephe, 1768; Abraham, 1770; Marie-Marguerite, 1772; Claude et Marie-Angelique, 1774; Marie-Esther, 1776; Jean-Baptiste, 1778; Joseph, 1780. Deporte au Massachusetts, en 1755, il s'est etabli a Saint'Jacques-de l'Achigan, vers 1767.
||Charles Gingras, brother of Sebastien and ancestor of all the Gingras families in America, would have come to Canada in 1669. It is not likely that he did so before this, considering that the censuses of 1666 and 1667 did not mention him and that few immigrants arrived in 1668. On the other hand, the following year, the king of France made a considerable effort to populate the country. He ordered 64,000 livres be put at the disposal of the colony to recruit 500 men and women, and to send twelve mares, two stallions and fifty sheep. |
In 1669, four ships docked at Quebec: le Chat, 250 tons, outfitted by Charles Aubert, departed from La Rochelle on 11 June and arrived on 20 August; l'Esperance, same outfitter, left the same port on 30 June and arrived on 15 September; and the le Saint-Pierre de Hambourg, 300 tons, outfitted by Pierre Gaigneur; and finally, the 300 ton le Pot de Berne, same outfitter. To this list we must add the le Saint-Jean-Baptiste, a Normand ship of the Sieur Guenet, carrying on board Mme Bourdon (Anne Gasnier) and 150 daughters of the king.
The large recruitment promised in 1669, in fact only arrived in 1670, because of bad weather conditions which raged on land and sea. On this subject, Marie de l'Incarnation wrote:
We wait from day to day for Monsieur Talon whom the King has sent back, in order to
settle all things in this country, and to do them according to the design of His Majesty.
There are five hundred men with him and only two women of quality with their
attendants. Last season when we were afraid with reason that some misfortune had
occurred to his ship and to another which accompanied it, because for two weeks,
there was such a terrible storm that we feared that he had perished; There was for this
purpose three ships which crossed the mouth of the sea, in order to see if they can
discover the ships or some debris. The houses of the lower town of Quebec had been
greatly damaged, the tide being swelled so extraordinarily, that it rose up to the third
floor. There are still some houses knocked down in the upper town. The storm had
been so violent everywhere that our house shook as if in an earthquake. The roof and
the rafters of the building of our servants had been carried away. Our wood fences,
and those of Monseigneur the Bishop, the Nursing Sisters, the Reverend Fathers, and
other of this type have been blown down... This is the cause of our concern regarding
Monsieur Talon, in which the country would be at a considerable loss if he was
Marie de l'Incarnation finally had an answer to her fears the following summer, because Talon only arrived on 18 August 1670. Nine days later she wrote to her son:
Finally Monsieur Talon has arrived at Quebec. He thought he'd be shipwrecked a
second time near Tadoussac, where a storm tossed his ship onto the rocks, and set it
on its side. All the crew had a great fear at their first pieces of debris; because I
believe that you have known that his ship, which we waited for all last year with great
concern, was carried away by the storm, and that it would be wrecked on the rocks of
Lisbonne in Portugal. This year his ship remained fixed between the frightful rocks in a
place where the tide rises and lowers. They remained there until it was refloated.
Everyone began to make vows, and to ask our Lord for mercy. The ship which should
have broken into pieces, and everyone lost, was refloated without any rupture; on the
contrary by unexpected good fortune, in the spot where it had leaked during the whole
crossing, in such a way that they had been obliged to continually pump, the large
bumping that it had had on the rocks tightened it so that there was not a single drop of
Would Charles Gingras have come to New France in 1670 rather than in 1669? The answer is no. He was already here in July while Talon's ship only arrived in August. We have proof of this in the contract of concession of the ancestral land drawn up by Gilles Rageot on 22 September 1671.
On that day, Jean Juchereau de Maure, seigneur of Cap Rouge, by way of cens and seigneurial rent ceded to Charles living at Sillery (probably at his brother Sebastien's home), a piece of land with three arpents in frontage facing the Saint-Lawrence River, by thirty arpents deep inland, bordering on one side Esnard Tinon and on the other side Robert Choret. The tenant was committed to bring his grain to the mill which would be built by the seigneur, to allow necessary public roads pass through his concession, to have a home there starting then, he or someone else, to work at his clearing and his farming. After the accounts were made between them, Gingras admitted owing sieur de Maure sixteen livres and six sols for the arrears owed for the past two years, an amount transferred from Jean Chesnier in a release from Gingras, as indicated in a private document dated 19 July 1670, according to which the debtor was obliged to pay on the next All Saint's Day.
On 7 June 1672, Sebastien was present at the home of notary Rageot at Quebec in order to meet with Robert de la Porte, resident of la Riviere des Roches, and to buy his land with three arpents of frontage by thirty deep. The seller stated that this homestead had been ceded by the late Jean Juchereau de Maure to Gervais Poutoune in 1669 and that the latter had given it to him in a contract the following year. This land was free of all debt, except for the seigneurial rents for the whole past. To the cost of these rents, the buyer had to add 60 livres tournois: 20 livres in the form of a note paid the same day to the sieur de la Ferte, and the other 40 livres had to be paid on the next Saint-Michel's Day, 29 September.
Sebastien knew this property well because it was located right next to the home of his brother Charles. He saw it each time that he went to visit. Did he intend to settle There? Perhaps through brotherly love and the desire to help each other. Perhaps Sebastien had also seen an opportunity to make a good investment. However it happened and, two years later, he sold it to Jean-Pierre Jouineau, a young man whose family lived in the neighborhood. The matter was concluded at Quebec at the home of notary Romain Becquet, on 18 June 1674. The buyer agreed to pay the cens and rents due to the seigneur, plus an amount of 90 livres tournois, including ten paid to the seller, the rest coming from Louis Rouer de Villeray. These 80 livres were part of an amount of 380 livres which Rouer already owed to Jouineau following a purchase of a concession made seven years earlier. Bernard Faure de Mortiac, an Acadian notary passing through to Quebec, and Jacques Turet, shoemaker, signed as witnesses with the notary who drew up the document.
In 1675, Charles Gingras had been in the country for at least six years, four of them spent clearing and developing his land at la Riviere des Roches. He believed he was sufficiently well-off to start a family. Francoise Amiot was his heart's desire. The wedding would take place with joint property according to the coutume of Paris and the dowry was set at 500 livres tournois. For their part, the Amiots promised to give their daughter an advance of inheritance of 200 livres, paid in three payments, in provisions and other things. In the census of 1681, we find Charles age 40 his wife Francoise Amiot, their children Mathieu, Jean and Charles. They had a gun for hunting and to defend themselves against the potential enemy; they kept four head of cattle and worked twelve arpents of their land located in the seigneurie of Maure.
The ninth decade of the seventeenth century would be the last for Sebastien Gingras. On 27 October 1687, his widow made a request so that the inventory of the community property which had existed between her and her late husband be drawn up. This inventory also noted an act of guardianship of his minor children, in the meantime Uncle Charles became their substitute guardian.
Charles died on 7 January 1710 and was buried in the small cemetery of Saint-Augustin, after having lived nearly forty years in his adopted land. Marie-Francoise Amiot survived him by more than a quarter century.
The Amiots owned a site on Rue Notre-Dame, behind la Montage at Quebec. Their immediate neighbor was the gunsmith Jean Soulard. A few years after the death of her parents, Marie-Francoise had decided to sell her share of this location to the notary Florent de la Cetiere. The transaction was concluded in the presence of Michel Le Pailleur, on 3 November 1702, for one hundred livres in principal and six livres for the pins.
After the death of her husband, Marie-Francoise Amiot asked her son Joseph to take over for his father at home. An acknowledgement of this fact comes from another son, Jean, married in 1705 and living in the neighboring parish of la Pointe-aux-Trembles (Neuville). In an act signed by the lawyer Hilaire Bernard de la Riviere on 22 December 1711, Jean made a donation to Joseph of a piece of land located on the 2nd range of the seigneurie of Maure, which his father had bequeathed to him on the occasion of his marriage. This donation was made, says the act,
for the good and fraternal friendship which he had for Joseph Gingras, his brother, for
the good care that he had given to their mother and their brothers and sisters since the
death of Charles Gingras their father, and with the hope that he will continue them in
the future as he has done in the past.
Two years later, Marie-Francoise made official, with the consent of her sons of majority age, Mathieu, Jean and Pierre, this role which already had fallen to Joseph. On 4 October 1713, she went to Quebec with them to the home of notary Chambalon whom she begged to legalize her donation. She stated there to have ceded to Joseph, also present and accepting, all rights to the personal property and real estate that she can have from the community property which existed between her and her late husband, according to the inventory which had been made by the messire Thierry Hazeur, missionary priest fulfilling the duties of curate in this parish of Saint-Augustin, dated 18 March 1713. The value of this property was appraised at 2,748 livres and five sols, half of which goes to her was given to Joseph, on the condition that he promise and is obliged
to feed house do laundry and support her in health and in sickness for the rest of her
days in her house according to her condition, and also orders the said recipient to feed
and support the two little brothers and two little sisters for the income of their property
so that they will want to live with them and the two other grown sisters in the case that
they wish to remain at the house on the condition that each of them will be held to
work according to her strength for the benefit of the said recipient.
Joseph was also charged, after the death of his mother, with having her buried and having 25 requiem masses said for the repose of her soul. Following the example of their mother, Jean, Pierre and Mathieu ceded in the meantime to Joseph, their hereditary rights.
in order for him to have the means of feeding and supporting more comfortably their
said mother until the day of her death and for the good friendship which they have for
In such warm terms Chambalon knew how to express the brotherly love and the close ties which bound the members of the family of Ancestor Charles!
In order to become the sole owner of the ancestral land, Joseph later acquired the successive rights of his other brothers and sisters. He would also have the good fortune of keeping his mother close, his best adviser, until she had reached her 76th year. She died on 7 February 1736 and was buried the next day in the parish cemetery of Saint-Augustin.
All the Canadian Gingrases are descended from Charles and Marie-Francoise Amiot; the direct paternal line of Sebastien did not go beyond the third generation. The ancestral land at Saint-Augustin had been occupied without interruption by ten generations of Gingrases, from 1670 until 1965, nearly 300 years. The last owner, Rosario Gingras, sold it to the University of Laval on 31 March 1965, a transaction recorded in the Registry Office of Cap-Sainte on the following 8 April. He was married to Francoise AMIOT @ on 5 Nov 1675 in N.-D.-de-Quebec, Quebec, P.Quebec.
|GINGRAS, Charles (I180)
||Claude & his family were deported in 1755 to Massachusette; his widow-Marie LeBlanc & her children established their residence at Saint-Jacques de L'Achigan in Quebec.|
Claude Bourgeois was deported from Acadia to Massachusetts, where he died,
probably in 1760. His widow and children settled in Québec at St-Jacques de
Claude Bourgeois, 1695, fils de Germain et de sa deuxieme femme, Madeleine Dugas, marie a Port-royal, le 24 novembre 1721, a Marie LeBlanc, fille de Pierre et de Madeleine Bourg. Enfants: Pierre-Benjamin, 1726; Marie-Madeleine, 1728; Anastasie et Elizabeth, 1730; Joseph-Abel, 1733; Armand, 1735; Amable, 1737; Gertrude, 1738; Marguerite, 1741; nathalie, 1743; Germain, 1749. Claude Bourgeois est decede au Massachusetts, vers 1760, ou il fut deporte avec sa famille, en 1755. Sa veuve et ses enfants s'etablirent a Saint-Jacques-de-l'Achigan, au Quebec.
||Dit Villeneuve, donné, interpreteur, Seigneur. Reçu une terre en 1649 du Gouverneur Louis D'Ailleboust à Trois-Rivières et en 1661 une terre à Sillery donnée par les Jésuites. Le 6 septembre 1669, il reçu de Jean Juchereau de Maur une propriété sur la Pointe Villeneuve. En 1685 il reçu, de Jean Talon, un fief et Seigneurie à la Pointe aux Bouleaux. Il receva aussi des lettres de Nobilitées du Roi, mais il les perdait en 1669 parcequ'il ne les avait pas enregistrées. |
|AMIOT dit VILLENEUVE, Mathieu (I3)
||Germain Bourgeois was a "marchand-bourgeois" at Port-Royal.|
CENSUS: 1686 Census f Chignouctou Dit Beaubassin
Germain Bourgeois 34, Magdelaine Dugas 22; children: Guillaume 12, Marie 9, Michel 7, Magdelaine 3; 2 guns, 5 arpents, 8 cattle, 3 sheep, 4 hogs.
age 34 acadian census of beaubassin 1686
|BOURGEOIS, Germain (I547)
||He was born in Picardie around 1600.In around 1625 he got married in Estrée |
( Today Couvre, in the district of L'Aisne ) in Soissonais with Anne Convent the daughter of Guillaume Convent and Antoinette de Longval. We don't know much about the life of Philippe and Anne Convent in France. We have found a act of sale from Antoine Courand notary.
In this act of sale of the Notary Courand 20th january 1626, we find out that Philippe Amyot bought
the house of Antoinette Longeuval in Espiré. Must a been a big house.
In the act, the house have 14 rooms and (32 arpents de terre )
In the spring of 1635 Philippe Amyot and his wife their two sons, Mathieu and Jean boarded a ship in
Dieppe destination New France. In the beginning of the summer they arrived in Kébec. It was during th time of M.Champlain. I was not there, but I presume that M.Champlain was on the roads whit his straw hat,
his whip and his wagon, and his pair of bulls to greet these new arrivals, the minute they arrived. In those days it's was not often that a contingent of new arrivals landed. Usually it occurred only once a year.
What did philippe Amyot do in Kébec ? We don't know. When he died we still don't know ? However its certain that he died in the year 1639. The burial act was not registered in the record of Quebec.
Certain alledge that he died by drowning, and because his body was never found, they never registered his death. Other presumed that they just simply forgot to re-enter his burial act when they reconstructed that
the parish register after the fire in the chapel Notre-Dame de la Recouvrance, in 1640.
Notary Audouart 7th September 1639 inventoried of the possesion of Philippe Amyot
In September 1639, Anne Convent, the widow of Philippe Amyot, married Jacques Maheu ;
they had two sons and one daughter.
She became widow once again in July 1663, she married for a third time a man by the name of Etienne Balnchon dit Larose. ( Notary contract Bequet the 5th may, 1666 ) She was 65 and Etienne 35.
Though scandal was not in vogue in Québec at that time, it must have made good gossip ;
just the age different alone was enough.
( Notary Duquet 10th January 1676 inventoried of Etienne Blanchon & Anne convent )
The 5th January, 1674 she gives to the children of her son Mathieu an estate located in the bases ville of Québec. ( Act of Bequet ) Unfortunately this property will later be dispute between Marie Minville and her Children. Anne convent died in 1674
( Notary Becquet 23th Febuary 1674 Testament of Anne Convent )
|AMIOT, Philippe (I1)
||Il était inventeur (mélangeur de cartes à jouer ainsi que divers types de serrures qui sont encore utilisées aujourd'hui), il n'a pas pu en vivre à cause de complication avec les brevets, il faisait aussi de l'ébénisterie. Pour gagner sa vie, il a été pêcheur et par la suite, inspecteur d'asphalte autant au Québec qu'au Nouveau-Brunswick. |
|AMYOT, Émile (I212)
||Ils ont eu quatre filles qui ont été placées à l'orphelinat de Cornwall et par la suite à l'orphelinat d'Ottawa à la suite du décès de leur mère. ||Family F78
PHILIPPE AMIOT from "Our French-Canadian Ancestors" by Thomas J. Laforest
The last name of Amiot or Amyot appears as a diminitive of the word "ami" or "amy". In the sixteenth century, it was pronounced: amio. More than one Amiot founded a family in Canada. The one who is of interest to us bore the first name of Philippe. The first to arrive in New France, he was also the first to die here and has the largest number of descendants among us.
ANNE CONVENT AND PHILIPPE AMIOT
It seems rather certain that Anne Convent, born about 1603, the daughter of Guillaume and Antoinette de Longval, came from Estrees, today Coeuvres-et-Valsery, the Canton of Vic-sur- Aines, Arrondisement of Soissons, in the Department of the Aisne, in the former territory of la Picardie. Anne and Philippe were married in France about 1626. They had two known children in the old country, Jean and Mathieu.
The Amiot family arrived in Quebec in 1636. On August 26, their last child, Charles, was baptized. His godfather was the Chevalier Charles Huault de Montmagny, also the first governor of New France. He had been in the country since June 11, 1636. The godmother was Guillemette Hebert, the daughter of Louis and Marie Rollet and the wife of Guillaume Couillard. The officiating priest was Jean Dequen, a Jesuit, originally from Picardy.
We know that, the day after the arrival of the governor, another ship "commanded by Monsieur Courpon" brought 45 recruits to Quebec, according to the Relations des Jesuites. Did the Amiots arrive as passengers on this ship? A good hypothsis!
Here begins a mystery which has never been cleared up! Nothing in our history indicates the name of Philippe's native village, his trade, the location of his house at Quebec, or the date of his death. One fact remains certain, the inventory of his property, drawn up on Wednesday, September 7, 1639, at Quebec and authenticated, on the first of April 1658, by the Notary Audouart. Fortunately, we have learned many things from it.
Philippe enjoyed a certain comfort. His wife and children slept well and were well dressed: 5 pairs of sheets, a bed canopy, suits for Mathieu and Charles, "a doublet in gray berry cloth belonging to his son Mathieu", a beaver skin robe worth 17 livres. They mentioned a frying pan, eight pounds of pewter ware, a small boiler and so forth.
Monsieur Pierre Priseaux owed the estate "eight francs" and "the Great Sevestre eight francs". The surprise was to learn that, at his death, Philippe owned 96 perches of cleared land. It was not possible for me to locate this property. Philippe only lived about three years in the Colony but, thanks to his two sons, Mathieu and Charles, that short time was sufficient for him to firmly implant on Canadian soil a name borne today by thousands of descendants.
On September 26, 1639, Anne Convent was remarried at Quebec, to Jacques Maheu, born to Nicolas and Louise Clichon, from Buberte, in the Arrondisement of Mortagne, in Perche. The new couple seems to have lived uneventfully but happily.
Jacques, classified as a pioneer in 1640, on October 11, 1647, became the owner of six arpents of frontage on the Grande-Allee, to a depth of ten arpents. He was in France in 1647 and 1648. He was elected church warden of the parish of Notre-Dame de Quebec in 1656, 1657 and 1659, the year in which he was a member of the trading association of Tadoussac. On August 10, of the same year, he was confirmed by Msgr. de Laval.
Anne and Jacques had the joy of bringing into the world a daughter, Marie-Madeleine, baptized on September 28, 1641. However, she died on the following October 19. Their son, Jean Maheu, was baptized on May 31, 1643. He married Marguerite Corriveau, parents unknown and the widow of Rene Maheu and Jean Lefranc, on July 16, 1663. A merchant and resident of the capital, he died without descendants. As for Jacques Maheu senior, he died, on July 22, 1663, at Quebec.
Anne Convent accepted a third husband, Etienne Blanchon dit LaRose, on September 10, 1666. This Auvergnat, Blanchon, who arrived here as a soldier with the Carignan Regiment, had no children by Anne Convent. This most deserving Ancestress died at Quebec, on December 25, 1675, at the age of 65. The pastor, Henri de Bernieres, presided at her funeral the following day.
THE AMIOT SONS
Anne Convent and Philippe Amiot had three sons: Jean and Mathieu, both born in France and Charles , the Canadian. Jean At an early age, Jean Amiot was a donne of the Jesuits, his protectors. The orphan was sent out to the land of the Hurons, where he learned their language. The Amerindians called him Antaiok, a distortion of Amiot, because they held him in esteem.
In 1645, Jean settled at Trois-Rivieres, where he lived until his death. He often served as an interpreter. Pierre-Georges Roy (?) recounts that, Amiot, passing through Quebec in 1647, challenged all the young Indian boys to a race, "either with or without snowshoes. Several entered the race against him, but he beat them all".
On May 28, 1648, Jean Amiot and Francois Margerie crossed the Saint-Lawrence in a bark canoe, across from Trois-Rivieres. A storm rose suddenly and capsized their frail craft.. The two interpreters perished in full view of the Frenchmen on the shore, who were powerless to help them. Jean's body was found on June 10, near Sillery, where they buried him.
Jean, greatly devoted to Saint-Joseph, had said: "If I should happen to die, I desire that the lumber and materials with which I plan to build a house for myself, be used to build a small chapel in honor of Saint-Joseph".
After his death, on October 18, 1649, Jean's property, 50 arpents of land and his building materials were bought by Jacques LeNeuf, for 183 livres.
Mathieu Mathieu Amiot, Sieur de Villeneuve, born in France about 1628, owned a small lot in 1655, measuring 54 feet in frontage, on the chemin (road) to Saint-Louis, to a depth of 18 feet, which ran as far as the southwestern part of the land of Sieur Chartier de Lotbiniere, near Cap-aux-Diamants.
On the occasion of his marriage to Marie Miville, the daughter of Pierre and Charlotte Maugis, on November 21, 1650, at Quebec, Mathieu received from his father-in-law, a plot of land on the Grande-Allee, bordering that of Jean Bourdon. Mathieu owned several other pieces of land; at Sillery, at the Chatellenie de Coulonges, at Saint-Augustin and at Cap-Rouge. The census of 1681 recorded the colonist Amiot as living in the Seigneurie of Maure, between Tugal Catin and Jacques Lemarie, where he owned three head of cattle and had thirty arpents of land under cultivation.
To summarize, let's recall that Mathieu was a valiant pioneer. In 1668, he was awarded letters of nobility. Unfortunately, they were invalid, wrote Father Archange Godbout, because they had not been registered. The Intendant Jean Talon wanted to amend this oversight by conceding at Villeneuve, on November 3, 1672, the Seigneurie of Pointe-aux-Bouleaux, near Sainte-Croix de Lotbiniere.
Mathieu and Marie raised a family of sixteen children, 8 girls and 8 boys, who have numerous descendants. Mathieu died, on December 18, 1688 and was buried the next day, at Quebec. As for Marie Miville, she died at the Hotel-Dieu, on September 5, 1702, during harvest time.
Charles The Canadian Charles Amiot, the son of Philippe and Anne Convent, studied at the College des Jesuitses. At the age of of 14, he accompanied Father Francois-Joseph Bressani as a servant on a journey out to the land of the Hurons. Departing from Trois-Rivieres, on June 7, 1650, he was unable to return there because the English fleet had stopped below Montreal. On July 18, Charles entered Quebec. On May 2, 1660, he married Genevieve de Chavigny, the daughter of Francois and Eleonore de Grandmaison. However, he still had the blood of a voyageur in his veins. He accompanied Father Nouvel to the Ile aux Basques and to Lake Matapedia. In 1664, he and Father Nouvel went with some Papinachois as far as the Riviere aux Outardes and then to the Manicouagan.
On the first of November 1652, Charles had received, from Lauzon, a concession which was enlarged by another one with 5 arpents by 40, on August 18, 1659. What really interested Charles was the fur and eel business. He became a merchant at Quebec.
His family was not large and composed of three children. Pierre died after two months old; Marie-Madeleine joined the Ursulines. She became superior of her community at Trois-Rivieres, in 1709. It was also there that she died, on October 13, 1747, after 68 years as a nun.
Charles-Joseph Amiot, the third and last child and husband of Marie-Gabrielle Philippe du Hautmesny, was a ship's captain and also a fur merchant. He became lord of the Seigneurie of Vincelot.
Charles died too young, at the age of 33, on December 11, 1669, at Quebec. His widow was remarried to Jean-Baptiste Couillard, Sieur de L'Espinay, on October 23, 1680. This strong woman and Seigneuresse, in more than title, was buried at Quebec, on April 21, 1724.
BY WAY OF CONCLUSION
Without the Amiot, Villeneuve and Vincelot families, many important sons would be missing from the tableau of our glorious national history.
According to Gabriel Drouin, the Honorable Georges-Elie Amyot (1856-1930), a member of the Legislative Council, showed proof of his noble line to the Commissaires du College des Armes du Canada, in October 1912. He was admitted to the Corporation of Nobility, with the coat of arms which he had of his ancestors.
FAMILY NAME VARIATIONS
There are no less than sixteen known variations of this lustrious name: Amio, Amiotte, Amiaut, Amroi, Amyault, Amyot, Hautmesny, Larpiniere, Lerpiniere, Lincour, Lincourt, Lusignan, Neuville, Villeneuve, Vincelot and Vincelotte.
This biography was taken from "Our French-Canadian Ancestors" by Thomas J. Laforest; Volume 26-Chapter 2- Page 41 [1-9-99 by James Gagne, http://www.jamesgagne.net/]
|AMIOT, Philippe (I1)
||Interprète et engagé des Jésuites chez les Hurons.|
Jean Amiot deuxième fils de Philippe Amiot et Anne Convent.
Jean Amiot et son frère passa plusieur années au pays des Huron suite a la mort de son père Philippe.
Mathieu et Jean suivirent les Pères Jésuites au pays des Hurons. Ils rendirent services aux Pères qui en
retour leur donnèrent une bonne instruction.
En 1647, les Iroquois infestaient le Lac St-Pierre et les environs. Une escouade de Français et de Sauvages chrétiens entreprenait de leur donner chasse. Jean qui était doué d'une force extraordinaire et qui ne demandait qu'a courire les aventures avait été l'un des premiers a enter dans cette pettite troupe d'élite. Il était assez chanceux et alerte pour attraper l'indien qui avait tué le père Joques, le 18 octobre 1646.
Il étais fort estimé des Sauvages qui l'appelait Antaiok, Champion. Les enfants les admiraient surtout sa force physique, son habilité et son endurance dans les courses et les jeux. Un jour, alors qu'il était de passage
a Québec, Jean les invitais tous a concourire dans des cours avec ou sans raquettes aux pieds.
Un bon nombre entraient en lice contre lui, mais il sortait toujours vainqueur de toutes les épreuves ;
sa supériorité était alors affirmée par tous les indiens présents.
Jean Amiot était sur le point de se marier quand il se noya le 23 mai 1648, en face de Trois Rivière avec un compagnon François Marguerie. Il était entrain de traversé le fleuve en canot d'écorce. Une violente tempête s'étant élèvé tout a coup, son canot se brisait sous la force des vagues et il se noyaient a la vue de quelques Français impuissant a venir l'aider. Son corps, porté par le courant fut retrouvé le 10 juin suivant devant la mission Saint-Joseph a Sillery, oèu eut lieu l'inhumation. Ses biens furent vendus par ses frères et héritiers a Jacques Leneuf de la Poetrie le 18 octobre 1649, d'après la greffe du notaire Audouart.
Jean Amyot fut fort regretté tant que pour ses qualité que pour ses vertus et ses connaisances des langues Indienne. Dans sa relation de 1648 le père Lallemeand, s.j .. faisait un brillant éloge de Jean Amyot.
|AMIOT, Jean (I236)
||Le 2 octobre 1649, le Gouverneur D'Ailleboust concédait aux frères Mathieu et Charles Amyot " la consistance de 5 arpents de terre situés à Trois-Rivières " Cette concesion était faire routure et aux charges ordinaires. ( Actes de Audouart 20 octobre 1649 )|
Ni Mathieu, ni Charles s'établirent a Trois-Rivières. Ils vendirent leur concession quelques jours seulement après l'avoir reçue.
Mathieu Amyot épouse le 20 novembre 1650 Marie Minville, fille de Pierre Minville dit le Suisse et de
Charlotte Mugis. Ces dernier étaient des Suisses qui se sont épousé a Fribourg en 1629.
Le 19 novembre 1650 le contrat de mariage fut érigés.
Par ce contrat Mathieu recevait de son beau-père, Pierre Minville une terre situé sur la Grande-Allée a Québec, voisine d'une terre qui possède déja. Mathieu Amyot et sa famille vécurent de 1650-1667 sur cette terre.
On le retouve sur le recensement de 1666 et de 1667 comme résidant de la seigneurie de Sillery appartenant
au Jésuites. En 1665 Mathieu obtient deux autres concession. l'une de 3 perches sur 8, et une autre de 5 arpent et 20 perches au lieu appelé Legrangé, près du " Cap au Diamants " ( Terrier pp 42, 43m cf, p, 198)
Mathieu Amyot et Marie Minville eurent quinze enfants.
Le 3 janvier 1661 les Pères Jésuites concédaient a Mathieu Amyot encore dans la seigneurie de Sillery, une terre de 3 arpents de front sur 20 arpents de profondeur. Mathieu vécut sur cette terre de 1667-1669.
|AMIOT dit VILLENEUVE, Mathieu (I3)
||Mathieu Amyot dit Villeneuve|
Le texte suivant est tiré du Recueil de Généalogies, Frère Eloi Gérard, Mariste:
Son fils Mathieu (fils de Philippe), fut anobli par le roi et reçut en fief la pointe-Villeneuve à Sillery. C'est depuis, que le nom d'amuot fut changé en celui de VILLENEUVE.
Le texte suivant est tiré du Bulletin des Recherche Historiques :
Fils ainé de Philippe Amyot et de Anne Convent (Philippe) était né à Chartres en 1628. il se maria à Québec, le 22 novembre 1650, avec Marie Miville, fille de Pierre Miville.
Le 3 novembre 1672, l'intendant Talon concédait à Mathieu Amyot dit Villeneuve 'trente arpents de terre de front sur cinquante de profondeur, à prendre sur le fleuve Saint-Laurent, du côté du sud, depuis la terre des Ursulines jusqu'aux terres non concédées, en descendant le dit fleuve'.
M. Amyot dit Villeneuve ayant retardé de prendre possession de sa concession les Dames Ursuline, qui avaient obtenues une augmentation de leur seigneurie, avaient fait par erreur défricher et concédé quelques terres dans la concession de leur voisin. M. Amyot dit Villeneuve ne voulant pas inquiéter ni avoir de contestation avec les Dames Ursulines, se fit concéder par MM. De Denonville et Champigny, le 16 avril 1687, 'l'étendue de terre non concédée entre la concession appartenant aux Religieuses Ursulines nommée Sainte-Croix, et celle de la veuve Duquet, contenant la dite étendue de terre soixante quatorze arpents de front sur deux lieues de profondeur.'
M. Amyot dit Villeneuve n'habita pas sa seigneurie. Il s'établit à l'anse à Maheu, aujourd'hui dans Saint-Augustin de Portneuf. C'est là qu'il éleva sa nombreuse famille. Avant la construction de la première chapelle de Saint-Augustin, en 1694, c'est dans la maison de Mathieu Amyot que le missionnaire disait la messe dans ses courses évangéliques sur la rive nord du Saint-Laurent.
Mathieu Amyot dit Villeneuve décéda à Québec le 19 décembre 1688.
|AMIOT dit VILLENEUVE, Mathieu (I3)
||Originaire de l'Evêcher de Soissons, Philippe Amyot passa au Canada dans le courant de l'été de 1635. Il était accompagné de sa femme, Anne Convent, et de ses deux fils Jean et Mathieu. Le 26 Août 1636, il faisait baptiser un autre garçon, Charles à Québec. Trois ans après, Philippe Amyot mourut. Il n'avait passé que quatres ans en Nouvelle France, mais celà lui avait suffi pour implanter solidement sur la terre canadienne grâce à ses deux fils Mathieu et Charles, un nom qui est porté aujourd'hui par des millers de ses descendants. Mathieu Amyot, était un homme décidé et entreprenant. Tour à tour, il se fit octroyer des concessions aux Trois-Rivières, à Sillery, puis dans la région de Québec. C'est même de cette dernière concession qu'il tira son nom de "Villeneuve", car cette terre était située "au dessus de la pointe vulgairement appelée pointe Villeneuve". A ce régime, Mathieu Amyot devint bientôt l'un des principaux habitants de la colonie. L'intendant Jean Talon fit donc pour lui une demande d'anoblissement. Les lettres de noblesse furent octroyées par Louis XIV en 1668, mais malheureusement Mathieu Amyot oublia de les faire enregistrer au Conseil Souverain de la Nouvelle- France, si bien qu'elles n'eurent aucune valeur. Bien qu'anobli, Mathieu Amyot ne fut donc jamais réellement noble. In mourut le 18 décembre 1688. Son frère, Charles, de dix ans plus jeune, commença àvoyager à l'âge de 14 ans avec les missionnaires. Bien que marchand résidant dans la Basse-Ville de Québec, il reçu lui aussi plusieurs concessions de terres. L'importance qu'il prit dans la vie québecoise le classa bientôt parmi les notables de la ville. Malheureusement Charles Amyot fut enlevé trop jeune. Il mourut en effet le 10 décembre 1669, soit neuf ans selement après son marriage. |
|AMIOT, Philippe (I1)
||Philippe Amyot |
Le texte suivant est tiré du Recueil de Généalogies, Frère Eloi Gérard, Mariste :
Il fut la souche des familles Amyot connues dans notre histoire sous les noms de Amyot dit Villeneuve, Amyot dit Vincelot ou Vincelotte, Amuyot dit Neuville et Amyot dit Larpinière.
Originaire de Chartres, en Fance, Philippe Amyot passa dans la Nouvelle-France en 1635 ou en 1636 avec sa femme Anne Convent et ses enfants Mathieu, né à Chartres en 1628, et Jean-Gencien, également né à Chartres en 1635. Un troisième enfant, Charles, naquit à Québec le 26 août 1636, peu après l'arrivée de la famille au pays.
On ne trouve nulle part l'acte de sépulture de Philippe Amyot. Nous croyons toutefois qu'il mourut ici peu avant 1639. Sa veuve se remaria avec Jacques Maheu, puis avec Etienne Blanchon dit Larose.
|AMIOT, Philippe (I1)
||Philippe Amyot arrived in Canada in the summer of 1635 from Soissons. He was accompanied by his wife, Anne Convent, and two sons, Jean and Mathieu. |
On August 26 1636, he baptised another son, Charles at Québec.
Four years after his arrival in New France, Philippe Amyot died. However, through his sons, Mathieu and Charles, he established a long line of descendants which today number in the thousands.
Mathieu Amyot was a decisive and entrepreneurial man. He was granted land concessions at Trois Rivières, Sillerie, and neat Québec. From the last concession he took the name Villeneuve since it was situated near pointe Villeneuve.
With that pace, it is no wonder that he became one of the notable settlers in the colony.
The intendant, Jean Talon, sought to obtain a title for him from the king. These were granted by Louis XIV in 1668, but unfortunately Mathieu Amyot failed to have them registered with the sovereign council of New France and they became worthless. Although he was titled, he never became a Noble. He died December 18, 1688.
His brother, Charles, who was ten years younger, started to travel with the missionaries at 14.
Aside from being a merchant living in the lower town (of Québec), he received many land grants. The importance of the role he played in Québec placed him among the most noted of the time.
Unfortunately, Charles Amyot died at an early are on December 10 1669 only nine years after his marriage.
|AMIOT, Philippe (I1)
||Religieuse de la congrégation des Dominicaines, elle a été missionnaire au Japon pendant de très nombreuses années. Elle est décédée au début des années 80.|
|AMYOT, Juliette (I247)